I'm not a library professional. I just play one in real life.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

LibSuccess Wiki

Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki

http://www.libsuccess.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

While I only just discovered this site, this looks like it could be a good source of information for libraries. In addition to the usual management and grant proposal questions, there's also a section on technology and its implementation in libraries. I like how they focus on ideas and successes, rather than problems. I think their focus is an interesting and positive one. We often get bogged down in work problems; it's good to see what others are doing and how they're utilizing their available resources.

One section that I find particularly interesting is that on collaborative tools such as wikis, blogs, and rss. I believe that online communications such as these formats could greatly improve communication among the different shifts, levels, departments, and branches of a library system. They have many different possibilities, including sharing favorite sources, asking for help with research problems, etc. Rather than struggle through a particularly tough research question alone, why not enlist the help of everyone in the library system? There's also the practical part of the internet: while we may not always have access to inter-office communications, one could always post from home onto a blog or a wiki.

I believe that these formats hold a lot of potential for valuing everyone's knowledge and making our jobs easier and more enjoyable.

2 Comments:

Blogger JohnWatson said...

Hey, you have an excellent blog here! Great job. I have a baby shower gift basket site. It pretty much covers baby shower gift basket related stuff.

Come and check it out when you get time :-)

6:30 PM

 
Blogger Askinstoo said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

6:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home